Grindelwald or Wengen for 3 days first time visit?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tbone1311
Tbone1311
21 posts
Jul 17, 2019 - 2:21 PM

I know this is a subjective choice, but I am having a hard time deciding between Grindelwald and Wengen for my base. Both seem very nice I understand that Grindelwald may be busier and is not car free but the key is that we like to eat and drink wine, so we enjoy a late supper and drinks and want some options, which is why we have decided that Lauterbrunnen Valley is probably too small and laid back although logistically is a good location.

My wife and I are staying for 3 days First time to Switzerland.

We are both 65 years of age in relatively good shape and somewhat active for our age.

We want to see the beauty of the Swiss Alps but do not ski or partake in physical activities, however we would like to do some easy to moderate hiking.

Our interest are the following:

1) Lauterbrunnen Valley Waterfalls and Trümmelbachfälle 2) Bachalpsee Lake 3) Schynige Platte 4) Schilthorn 5) Maennlichen Royal Walk 6) The Eiger Trail

I am not really sure if all of this is possible in basically 2 and half days coming from Laussane.

Any thoughts on the best base would be appreciated.

BTW going to stay at either ParkHotel Schoenegg or Hotel Alpenrose respectively.

Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6471 posts
expert
Jul 18, 2019 - 1:34 AM in reply to Tbone1311

Your note is confusing, from my perspective.

Please let us know when you are traveling, as requested in the forum rules.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules. It can make a big difference in the Alps.

<<"the key is that we like to eat and drink wine, so we enjoy a late supper and drinks and want some options, which is why we have decided that Lauterbrunnen Valley is probably too small and laid back although logistically is a good location.">>

The Lauterbrunnen Valley meets your specifications.

Nonetheless, many of us prefer Wengen, which can meet your requirements, too.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

My own opinion is that Grindelwald is too spread out, too commercial, and lacks charm.

However, it seems that you have chosen Wengen, so I am puzzled by your question about which base to use...

Parkhotel Schoenegg in Wengen is one of the best, and not inexpensive. Usually, an outstanding kitchen , which you will pay for. Good location.

I've not been at the Alpenrose for many years so I don't trust my memory, but I recall that it was not in the luxury class of the Schoenegg. A bit of a downhill walk from the station? Several hotels have similar names........

<<"do not ski or partake in physical activities, however we would like to do some easy to moderate hiking.">>

Check those hikes that you listed in the "What to do / hiking" pages of My Swiss Alps. Some may constitute physical activities that are outside your comfort zone. They vary in difficulty.

Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is rather easy, and spectacular....on a clear day.

It will be hard explore all of those locations in the time allowed, unless you choose to merely touch the ground and turn around.

The timetable will allow you to understand the time required for the travel between them:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You an use the information available on those locations and how to get to them, by searching on My Swiss Alps.

Slowpoke

Cr91958
Cr91958
16 posts
Jul 18, 2019 - 5:17 AM

Hi,
I am currently writing this from the balcony of our room at the Alpenrose in Wengen. As Slowpoke says, it is definitely a downhill walk from the station, meaning an uphill one (albeit short) on the way back to town. It is quite comfortable but not luxury. Wengen is charming and offers many restaurant choices from casual to more upscale. Restaurants generally close around 22:00. It offers all amenities for tourists. The town does have people out and about walking on a warm summer evening but not much in the way of "nightlife". No music scene, etc. If you are looking for charming, Wengen is IT! But if you are looking for any kind of party scene, you'd be better to look elsewhere.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6471 posts
expert
Jul 18, 2019 - 8:27 AM in reply to Cr91958

Thanks Cr95198-

A perfect description.

Slowpoke

Mark
Mark
381 posts
top member
Jul 18, 2019 - 11:14 AM

HI TBone

I have always chosen Wengen to use as my base, Beausite Park Hotel, because I value its charm, ambiance, and views. However if choices for food and nightlife are more important, then Grindelwald may have more to choose from as it is larger. However more choices may not mean more variety as I suspect the types of entertainment, restaurants,bars, and hours of operation will be similar in both towns. But to be honest I haven’t done much of a survey of available nightlife. If you do all the hikes you listed in 2 days you may find your bed will be more attractive than you think.

All things being said, I believe you will enjoy your stay at either town.

Mark

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019