Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Train pass for Europe trip incl. Switzerland

Train pass for Europe trip incl. Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
BatesFamily
BatesFamily
2 posts
Aug 13, 2019 - 4:09 PM

Ok. Here is my itinerary. Paris... Turin... Florence... Como... ok swiss part Lugano to Lucerne (Gothard Panorama Express). Lucerne 2 nights then Grindelwald 2 nights. Next Grindelwald to St Galen (1 night) then Fuelen then Salzburg... Vienna.. Paris...Normady .Paris.. to London...

This site is excellent. Have itinerary spreadsheet to figure out if EurailPass global (EP) is worth it. It is...

Europe train days are around 13. We are seniors. So do all with EurailPass global (EPG) (15 flex traindays) or a combination of EPG (10 day) and a Swiss travel pass (3 day) or a Swiss regional 3 day (Jungfrau or Bernese Oberland)?

so Lugano to Lucerne (train/boat) 6 hrs. arrive Lucerne do Lucerne city see Lion. sleep next day want to do Titlus or Pilatus. night 2. Next day train to Lucerne to Interlachen... get up to Grindelwald do grindelwald - first. night 1. next day Grindelwald to Schilthorn. hiking. next day Grindelwald to St Galen

With Gothard Panaroma does Swiss pass 3 day give us anything over EPG? I don't think so. I think I have to make reservations and pay upgrade(2nd to 1st).

Regional passes. Jungfrau Regional is out. (only 2 days in valid region). Next Bernese Oberland pass. (Includes Lucerne... Does it include Titlus and/or Pilatus?) Need to compare its cost over Swiss Pass.

I guess what this exercise has shown me is that you get the nights down. But then you have to figure out what you want to do/see during the days.

Annika
Annika
6106 posts
expert &
Aug 14, 2019 - 8:22 AM

Hi BatesFamily!

That's right, only if you're pretty sure what your plans are, you can make a detailed comparison and calculate the options accordingly. If your schedule isn't pretty much fixed, you'll have to make an educated guess. I would rule out the regional passes if I were you, as you'll be staying in several Swiss regions. So I'd say you should look into either:

The Swiss Travel Pass offers better discounts for mountain trips such as Pilatus (www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/tickets), Titlis (www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/tickets) and Schilthorn (www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/tickets) than the Eurail Global Pass. There's no difference for the train part of the Gotthard Panorama Express, but there is for the boat section Lucerne-Flüelen (www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets). You'd best compare the validity details through www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y and www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity closely.

If the whole calculation process seems too daunting, then rest assured that you really can't go wrong with either choice!

Last modified on Aug 14, 2019 - 8:23 AM by Annika

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019