Zurich airport to Munich to St Moritz in Jan 2020

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Micheleang17
Micheleang17
21 posts
Oct 9, 2019 - 4:06 AM

Hi,

I am arriving Zurich airport on 19 Jan 2020, 07:00hr and intent to go straight to Munich from there. Stay for a few nights from 19 Jan to 23 Jan and then make my way to St Moritz.

Any recommendations on the best way to travel this route - Zurich to Munich to St Moritz? And if advance purchase of ticket is necessary (will price fluctuate for any portion of this journey)?

I have checked the SBB timetable and I am unable to select dates after 9 Dec 2019. Hence am using the current information as reference for 19 Jan 2020 trip. There is no direct train to Munich and if I were to take the fastest route, it involves taking the bus. I searched online and came across Flixbus but reviews were no good. Are there any other bus operator that is reliable? Also, taking a bus requires a car seat for my child (3 year old). Do the bus operator provides FOC or rental because A car seat is too bulky to carry around for my trip.

My tentative itinerary : Zurich to Munich to St Moritz to Zermatt to Milan

Thank you!

Ildiko
Ildiko
340 posts
top member &
Oct 9, 2019 - 5:52 AM in reply to Micheleang17

Hi Micheleang17,

as you are traveling to Munich, please have a look at www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/, where you can find tips on travel and how to buy the cheapest tickets. You can travel from Zurich to Munich via train or Flixbus (https://www.flixbus.co .uk/coach/zurich) or Intercity bus (https://www.bahn.com/e n/view/offers/bus/inde x.shtml). I suggest to buy your tickets and reserve your seats online in advance to make sure you'll have the place, especially as you are traveling with a little child. You can do that at www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/pri ce.

I recommend you to travel by train, as it is more comfortable, you can stand up and stretch your legs, also your child would have more space.

There is no need for a car seat on busses or trains, so do not worry about it.

Last modified on Oct 15, 2019 - 5:09 PM by Arno
JaneEB
JaneEB
106 posts
Oct 9, 2019 - 8:19 AM in reply to Micheleang17

Hi micheleang17

We have used Flixbus a couple of times.

Once to get from Innsbruck to Munich Airport and once to get from Copenhagen to Lund in Sweden. We found them to be reliable and cost effective.

We would use them again.

Jane

1960man
1960man
2163 posts
top member
Oct 9, 2019 - 11:39 PM in reply to Micheleang17

I have checked the SBB timetable and I am unable to select dates after 9 Dec 2019. Hence am using the current information as reference for 19 Jan 2020 trip. There is no direct train to Munich and if I were to take the fastest route, it involves taking the bus.

You can't select dates after mid December 2019 as the new timetable is not yet in the computers. It is due to be published on 15 October.

In fact at present there are three direct trains per day between Zurich and München

The reason there are so many buses shown at present is because the railway is undergoing major rebuild into a fast electric railway with tilting trains, to be launched in late 2020.

In the meantime I suggest you wait until 16 October to see what trains they are running in the 2020 timetable

If you do use a train to come back to Switzerland, you can change at St Gallen and take a train to Chur to connect into another train to St Moritz

Last modified on Oct 9, 2019 - 11:39 PM by 1960man

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019