About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Must I quarantine if my flight stops in Canada
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Must I quarantine if my flight stops in Canada

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Xpresso
Xpresso
16 posts
Apr 22, 2021 - 10:42 AM

I am a Swiss-American living in the USA and my understanding is that USA is not currently on Switzerland’s quarantine list. However my flight was just changed and I stop in Canada (which has a mandatory quarantine in Switzerland). Will I be required to quarantine? I understand things can change and my travels are in a couple months but as of today, what quarantine requirements would be in place in this situation of someone originating in USA but changing planes in Canada? Thank you.

Arno
Arno
14455 posts
expert &
Apr 22, 2021 - 12:28 PM

Hi Mrodas703,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! USA is not on the quarantine list, but there is a travel ban. I know this sounds confusing but basically only people from the US with Swiss residency can enter.

Let's assume you can come but Canadians can't. This is what the Swiss authorities say at the moment::

I read this as "the connection in Canada does not prevent you from entering, but it does require you to go into quarantine". But I'm not sure. To be 100% sure, I recommend to call the infoline on +41 58 464 44 88 (available daily 6AM to 11PM CET) and check with your airline as well.

I expect that things will be much better in a couple of months! We'll keep you updated here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland, or you can subscribe to our newsletter or notifications: www.myswissalps.com/contact.

Last modified on Apr 22, 2021 - 12:51 PM by Arno
Xpresso
Xpresso
16 posts
Apr 23, 2021 - 9:09 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you for the information! I was able to change my flight to stop in Zürich before going to Geneva so I will no longer go through Canada.

I have Swiss citizenship through my Dad and I will be getting my passport from the Swiss embassy soon. My daughters have citizenship too but only a Swiss ID card and my husband is registered with the Embassy through us so they gave us a “Travel Authorization” document. I hope all of this will allow us to enter! I will keep the info phone number handy, thank you.

mikefrank
mikefrank
16 posts
Apr 23, 2021 - 12:07 PM in reply to Arno

We are planning on traveling to Switzerland in four weeks. I have not found where it says US citizens cannot travel to Switzerland. What I have found is that if the US is not on the list of high-risk countries you can enter, and not have to quarantine. if this is not correct can you point me to documentation that says US cannot travel to Switzerland as tourists currently.

thank you

Arno
Arno
14455 posts
expert &
Apr 23, 2021 - 12:36 PM in reply to mikefrank

Hi Mikefrank,

It's explained at www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. Please see the document attached to the first post in that thread, as well as the "List 1" link (the USA is not listed as an exception, so the travel ban applies).

I'd personally think the USA could be one of the first countries to be added to the list of exceptions, but were not there yet unfortunately. In case of any doubts you can call the infoline I mentioned.

Last modified on Apr 23, 2021 - 12:38 PM by Arno
Xpresso
Xpresso
16 posts
Apr 23, 2021 - 7:54 PM in reply to mikefrank

Great question. Thanks to all those who have offered their help. Just a reminder that my particular question for this topic was mostly with regards to having a layover in Canada which is currently on Switzerland’s quarantine list.

Last modified on Apr 23, 2021 - 8:06 PM by Xpresso
Anna
Anna
1090 posts
top member &
Apr 24, 2021 - 3:38 PM in reply to Xpresso

Hi Mrodas703,

According to the State Secretariat of Migration (SEM), if you have a Swiss passport or a valid Swiss residence permit, you may travel to Switzerland from any country. As you will be flying direct to Zürich from the US, you will not be required to go into quarantine as the US is no longer on the high-risk list. However, as Arno mentioned is his post, you do need to present a negative PCR test and fill out an entry form upon arrival. You can find comprehensive details and FAQ on entry restrictions to Switzerland from the links in Arno's post.

Safe travel and regards,

Anna

Last modified on Apr 24, 2021 - 3:38 PM by Anna
Xpresso
Xpresso
16 posts
Apr 24, 2021 - 4:13 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you for the very helpful information!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021