About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Cost of ticket upgrade with Swiss Travel Pass
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Cost of ticket upgrade with Swiss Travel Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Johnsonkelly
Johnsonkelly
7 posts
Oct 13, 2021 - 6:28 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to run all the numbers to see which Swiss Travel Pass to get, so I have a question. Do the train prices change based on how close to the date of booking, or are they fixed based on high and low season/time of year? For example, a train from Zurich to Zermatt tomorrow is 135/person for standard class, and 225/person for first. However, if I look at December 3 it costs 60/person for standard and 100/person for first. If I'm at the train station on December 3rd and I wanted to upgrade my second class STP to first class for that trip, could I expect these to still be the prices then?

Thanks,

Kelly

Snowman
Snowman
797 posts
top member
Oct 13, 2021 - 10:06 PM in reply to Johnsonkelly

I Kelly,

I live in Switzerland and use the SBB app to check out the train schedules and fares. I am not familiar with the STP which is only for non-residents.

That said, I don’t find the fares you indicate. But in any case, the system is currently based on fixed fares for a given trip, no matter what the day of the week and the time in the day. The variations I know are of two kinds :

- A higher price for special trains. These are rare, but if Zermatt is your destination and you pick the Glacier Express, the fare for the section Visp-Zermatt would be higher. Normal trains run on the same line at the standard fare.

- Discounts for early bookings on trips at non-peak hours. These vary for each trip, or don’t exist at all at peak hours, and the discount decreases the closer you get to the trip date. This is probably the reason for the difference you noted. Available discounts ae shown by a % sign on the timetable. If you buy a discount ticket, you have to travel at the date and time selected. If you pay the full fare you can change your mind on the time (and, for return trips, you can also change your mind on the return date, within a given bracket).

Enjoy your trip!

Ildiko
Ildiko
1309 posts
top member &
Oct 14, 2021 - 12:16 PM in reply to Johnsonkelly

Hi Kelly,

first of all, in general, you can learn many things about the timetable at www.myswissalps.com/timetable. That might help you too.

Then, in addition to Snowman's great answer - you can read about the discounted tickets the so called Supersaver tickets at www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland.

And lastly, you can read about the differences between 1st class vs 2nd class tickets at www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass. My personal opinion is that 2nd class seats are already quite good too. Clean and comfortable.

Are you thinking about traveling by the Glacier Express? This is the point of your question?

Have we answered your question?

Ildiko

More about upgrading your Swiss Travel Pass: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details

Last modified on Oct 14, 2021 - 12:17 PM by Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021