About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Trip report: 5 days Lucerne and Bernese Oberland
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Trip report: 5 days Lucerne and Bernese Oberland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
curlyq
curlyq
3 posts
Sep 19, 2022 - 5:23 AM

I must say our stay may have been “short” but boy did we pack it all in! Just for some background info, we had the half fare card and Oberland Region pass. I wanted to go in detail to hopefully help others planning their trip!

We arrived to Zurich in the evening on a Sunday and took the train to Luzern. Monday we morning we walked around the old town and then took the boat ride to Vitznau and took the cogwheel train to Mount Rigi. Doing the boat ride to Vitznau was a great way to see Lake Lucerne without having to take a separate Lake Lucerne boat ride since we only had one day. After Mount Rigi we had dinner with views of the Chapel Bridge and then walked around the city some more before heading in for the night since we had to wake up early for Tuesday…

Which we had to make the 0800 train to Lauterbrunnen. This was such a beautiful train ride. Well, ok, there is no ugly view in Switerland ;). We arrived about 2 hours later, left our luggage in Lauterbrunnen for about 10 CHF with the luggage office. We then headed straight for Schilthorn because it was supposed to rain the next few days! We took the cable car up to Grütschalp, train to Mürren, walked through the town and took the cable car up to Birg, and then straight onto Schilthorn. We were already up at Schilthorn around 1200! The views were great and then we did a little bit of the thrill walk in Birg before heading down. We then headed to Gimmelwald and had lunch with an amazing view at the hostel in town. I was so excited they had the option of vegan cheese on their pizza and felt like I had won the lottery, haha. We walked a little bit around Gimmelwald before leaving..and went back to Lauterbrunnen by going to 'Stechelberg and taking the bus where we were back by 1520. We grabbed our luggage and headed into Wengen where we were staying. The adventures for the day don’t end there…We then dropped off our luggage and went to Grindelwald. Took the cable car to Mannlichen and then onwards to Grindelwald where we arrived by 1730, to take the train into the main “centre” of Grindelwald. We played some mini golf, ate dinner and amazing chocolate fondue and then took the train from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen..train to Wengen. We definitely took advantage of having our regional pass!

On Wednesday we were able to take in the day at a slower pace since we had seen so much the day before. We walked around Wengen and then went to Trümmelbachfälle! Headed back to Wengen and then departed for Mürren to have dinner and very glad we didn’t get “stuck” up there because we didn’t realize the last cable car is so “early” (at 1900) ;). Also, you don’t realize how long it takes to get to each little town but I loved take the trains and cable cars anyways. Pplus the views never get old.

On Thursday, our last day before heading out of the country, I wanted to ride more of the gondolas. So we took the train from Wengen towards Kleine Scheidegg, the train to the gondola and then the gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen and so forth. Jungfrau region is breathtakingly gorgeous and we had a great time.

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Sep 19, 2022 - 2:52 PM in reply to curlyq

Hi curlyq,

Glad you enjoyed your holiday in Switzerland. Thank you so much for making the effort to write a detailed trip report.

Really appreciate your sharing your travel experience. I'm sure others will find your travel insights helpful.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
Arno
15693 posts
expert &
Sep 19, 2022 - 3:55 PM in reply to curlyq

Thanks curlyq! Glad to hear you liked your trip. You sure made the most out of your short stay. It's amazing what you can see and do in just a couple of days, right? You're right, the Jungfrau region is gorgeous!

Mschwalbe
Mschwalbe
58 posts
Sep 19, 2022 - 4:41 PM in reply to curlyq

Wow! Thanks for sharing all that! Yes you certainly achieved a lot in a short time, but I can relate, having a similar personality! haha! I was able to visualise a lot of what you described, having gone to the area 3 times in the past 4 years. The Mürren, Wenger and Lauterbrunnen area is a magical spot on this planet! Take care!

hockeyfan
hockeyfan
124 posts
Sep 20, 2022 - 1:11 AM in reply to curlyq

For future reference, if you are in Murren very late, the last cable car from the Stechelburg end of town leaves at 23:55, much later than the train to Grutchalp. Your hiking sounds wonderful.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022