Viewing point Männlichen
The Männlichen is a 2343 m high mountain in Switzerland’s famous Jungfrau region. You can get there by cable car and gondola. It offers spectacular views over a wide area and is the starting point for several hikes.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Attraction type: Natural site, Mountain top, By cable car
Escort: independent (no guide)
Region: Jungfrau region (Bernese Oberland)
Duration: 1 day or less
Beautiful rides up to Männlichen
The Männlichen is a 2343 m high mountain in the heart of the famous Jungfrau region. It can be reached in two ways: by cable car from Wengen and by gondola from Grindelwald.
For a small surcharge, passengers can access the roof of the cable car from Wengen, enjoying the 6-minute ride in the open air. This is known as the 'Royal Ride'.
10-passenger gondolas from Grindelwald get you up to Männlichen in 20 minutes full of scenic beauty.
What to expect at the top
Once you get off the cable car or gondola, you'll have stunning views of the Jungfrau region, including the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. You'll also look down to the valleys of Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald and the area surrounding Interlaken.
The mountain guest house has several restaurants, a large terrace and hotel rooms. Children can enjoy themselves at the playground.
Hiking and other activities in summer
Männlichen is the starting point for several easy trails with great views:
- You can take a 25-minute hike up to the actual summit of the Männlichen for even wider views. This is the 'Royal Walk'.
- Most famous is the popular panoramic hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, with continuous views of the Bernese Alps.
Longer hiking routes are available as well. And there’s more than hiking:
- In summer, there are brunches on Sundays and evening barbecues on several fixed dates.
- There are mountainbike trails.
- You can book paragliding flights.
- There's the Chamois Trophy for true athletes: for a small fee you get to hike up from Wengen to Männlichen with fully automated chronometry. The fee also includes a goodie bag, a beer at the summit and a ride down to Wengen.
Activities in winter
In winter, several hiking trails will be groomed, so you can explore the area on foot. Skiing, snowboarding and sledding are popular too. There’s even a children’s ski school.
How to prepare
Clear skies are important: clouds may block the views while you’re relaxing at the top or hiking. Check weather forecasts before you leave.
Make sure you dress in multiple layers, allowing you to adapt to changing weather circumstances throughout the day. Don’t forget sun glasses, and make sure you have solid shoes and appropriate gear when hiking.
A trip to Männlichen takes about half a day or less. If you combine your visit with a hike, this can be a full day trip.
Combine your visit to Männlichen with other activities
The Männlichen is in the heart of the Jungfrau region and can be combined with other activities:
Find more activities in the Jungfrau region here.