How to travel to Monte San Salvatore
The funicular to the top departs from Paradiso, a district of Lugano.
How to reach Lugano
Lugano can be reached by train and by car.
Section 1: reaching the funicular station
There are several ways to reach the funicular valley station in Paradiso:
- By train only: you can best travel to the train stop 'Lugano-Paradiso'. The walk to the funicular station takes less than 10 minutes. Alternatively you can walk all the way from the railway station of Lugano in about 45 minutes.
- By train and bus: travel to the main station 'Lugano'. Then take a bus to the stop 'Paradiso, Geretta' or 'Paradiso, Stazione/Scuole'. The bus rides take 12 to 14 minutes. Then walk to the funicular in a few minutes.
- By boat: it takes 5 minutes on foot to reach the funicular station from the boat dock 'Lugano-Paradiso (lago)'.
- By car: there's a parking lot at the funicular station.
Section 2: Paradiso to Monte San Salvatore
Take the funicular to the top. You'll need to switch to another funicular half-way up the mountain at Pazzallo. The whole ride takes 10 minutes.
Dates of operation
The funicular operates:
- January 15-February 20 2022: Saturdays and Sundays only
- February 26-March 3 2022: daily
- March 12-October 30 2022: daily. On some Fridays and Saturdays, the summit is open during evening hour too.
There's a maintenance break from October 31 to December 2 2022. Please check again later for further dates.
Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.
Find public transport schedules for your trip. The valley station of the funicular is called 'Lugano-Paradiso (S. Salvatore)'. The top station is called 'Monte San Salvatore'.
Plan your trip