How to travel to the Rigi
The 3 main ways to reach Rigi are:
- by cogwheel train from Arth-Goldau
- by cogwheel train from Vitznau
- by cable car plus cogwheel train from Weggis.
The top station is called "Rigi Kulm".
Many travelers start from Lucerne. Public transport is the best way to reach Rigi. If you come by car, the parking lot next to motorway A4 in Goldau is a convenient option. "Goldau A4" is the name of the train stop there.
1. Arth-Goldau to Rigi Kulm
Take a train from Lucerne to Arth-Goldau. Then board the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm. The cogwheel trains leave from "Arth-Goldau RB" (RB stands for RigiBahnen). This is an outdoor platform at a higher level than the other tracks of Arth-Goldau. The route to the Rigi platform is clearly indicated.
This train stops at Goldau A4 (parking lot), Kräbel (where a cable car to Rigi Scheidegg departs), Fruttli, Rigi Klösterli, Rigi Wölfertschen-First and Rigi Staffel. These stops are useful as a start or end point of a hike, but for general sightseeing they are not worth it to get off the train.
2. Vitznau to Rigi Kulm
Take a boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Or travel from Lucerne to Küssnacht by train, then from Küssnacht to Vitznau by bus. In Vitznau, a cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm departs.
The cogwheel train stops at Mittlerschwanden, Grubisbalm, Freibergen, Romiti-Felsentor, Rigi Kaltbad-First, Rigi Staffelhöhe and Rigi Staffel. Rigi Kaltbad-First is in a village and worth it for general sightseeing. The other stops are isolated and mostly used by hikers.
3. Weggis to Rigi Kulm
Travel from Lucerne to Weggis by boat. Or get to Küssnacht by train, and then to Weggis by bus.
In Weggis you'll have to reach the valley cable car station. This is a 10- to 15-minute uphill walk. On most days, there's also a bus between the boat dock (called "Weggis, Schiffstation" in the timetable) and the cable car station (called "Weggis, Seilbahn" in the timetable).
The cable car ends in the small village and spa resort Rigi Kaltbad. It's located along the cogwheel track that starts in Vitznau. So you can board a train to Rigi Kulm here.
Dates of operation
The trains operate all year round. As for the cable cars:
- The cable car from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad operates during most of the year, except for 2 maintenance breaks: from 7 March to 22 April 2022 (the cable car does operate during Easter) and from 21 November to 2 December 2022 (on weekdays only: the cable car does operate in weekends). During these breaks, replacement trains from Vitznau are available.
- The cable car from Kräbel to Rigi Scheidegg operates during most of the year, except for 2 maintenance breaks: from 19 to April 29 2022 and from November 7 to November 18 2022 (in both cases on weekdays only: the cable car does operate in weekends).
Please check again later for further dates.
Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.