About the Swiss Travel Pass Flex
The Swiss Travel Pass Flex (called "Swiss Flexi Pass" until 2014) offers unlimited trips by train, bus and boat, discounted mountain rides and free museum entrance on the days you choose. These don't have to consecutive. Details:
- Free traveling for 3, 4, 6, 8 or 15 days within one month. This is what you get on these days:
- free traveling by trains, buses, boats and city transport.
- cable cars, cogwheel trains and funiculars are discounted by 50% (details and exceptions here).
- free entrance to museums.
- There are no benefits on the non-travel days.
- The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is available for 1st or 2nd class traveling.
- Children travel along for free.
Pros and cons of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex
- We think that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is pretty expensive. It may work for your itinerary, but be sure to do the math before you decide. In many cases, the Swiss Travel Pass is the better choice.
- The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is worth your consideration if you stay for 16 days or longer. In that case you may want to buy an additional Swiss Half Fare Card, in order to get a discount on days you do not use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.
Our experience with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex
We use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex occasionally when we're in Switzerland. We travel by public transport nearly every day, so the Swiss Travel Pass is easier for us. We only pick the Swiss Travel Pass Flex if we plan just a few days with longer train, bus or boat journeys.
We always have a wish list with plans, but no fixed schedule. So we make decisions about the free travel days only a day ahead of time. We consult weather forecasts, consider how many free travel days we have left, and try to estimate which days are best for which trips. We then get our day tickets online. This is doable in our opinion. The process takes about 5 minutes.
On the remaining days, we buy full-fare tickets. Those costs add up quickly, so we limit ourselves to short, local trips.
How many other travelers decide for the Swiss Travel Pass Flex
Other tourists also don't prefer the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Please see the train pass buying statistics.
Check if there are resellers who offer a discount on the pass.
WHERE IT'S VALID
See where you can travel with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex, and which attractions are included.
HOW TO USE
Learn how to use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex once you're in Switzerland.
Even more information and tips about the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.
How to choose the best rail pass, where to buy one, about seat reservations and much more.
Is something not clear yet? Just post your questions to the Swiss rail forum and get a quick answer.